Teen, 16, suffered third-degree burns after lice shampoo caught fire and engulfed her in flames

Teen, 16, suffered third-degree burns after lice shampoo caught fire and engulfed her in flames

Pharmacy assistant Lauren Wieden talks about a new way of treating head lice at Terry White Chemists. A teenager suffered third-degree burns on her face and body after lice shampoo on her head caught fire. British teen Aleema Ali, 16 is a full-time student in college – but four years ago, a freak accident changed her life forever. After returning to her home in Bradford from boarding school in December 2016, Aleema realised she had caught head lice and decided to apply “Full Marks Solution”, a medicated shampoo to kill the lice in her hair. But after applying the product to her hair, she decided to complete some chores and went to the kitchen where her mum was cooking. The then 12-year-old hadn’t realised the head lice product was highly flammable and her entire head burst into flames. “I went to the kitchen to get to the bin and whilst I was walking past, my hair caught fire as the medicine was extremely flammable,” she said. “I panicked and went to a state of shock and the only thing I could think was, ‘I’m going to die.’ “I was in a coma for two months so there was no immediate reaction. They slowly built up the amount of time I was awake.” As Aleema’s entire head was engulfed in flames, her panicked family called an ambulance and she arrived at hospital just 10 minutes after the incident. However, her injuries were already severe, with doctors placing Aleema into an induced coma for two ...
More on: www.news.com.au