Special Forces emails about SAS killings in Afghanistan 'deeply troubling', says lawyer

Special Forces emails about SAS killings in Afghanistan 'deeply troubling', says lawyer

Internal Special Forces emails disclosed as part of a High Court case around the deaths of four Afghans shot by the SAS have been described as “deeply troubling” by a lawyer for a relative of the deceased. Documents showed that “immediate and serious concerns” were raised about the killings in Helmand province in February 2011, and members of the British Army were raising concerns at the time about a “pattern of killings by the same unit”, the solicitor said. The Sunday Times reported that internal communications between senior special forces officers showed serious concerns being expressed about the deaths of 33 people in 11 raids during a three-month period that year by one SAS unit. The newspaper quoted one email in which, it said, one of the country’s highest-ranking special forces officers described allegations he had received as “explosive” and “disturbing” and that they suggested “a deliberate policy” among one unit “to engage and kill fighting-aged males on target even when they did not pose a threat”. Saifullah Yar, in his 20s, has been granted a judicial review into the deaths of four of his family who were were shot on February 16 2011. The emails were disclosed to his legal team as part of the High Court hearing last month. His lawyer Tessa Gregory, from law firm Leigh Day, said: “The material disclosed is deeply troubling. Not only does it show that the Afghan Partnering Unit raised immediate and serious concerns about the shootings of our client’s relatives, it also shows that ...
More on: www.independent.co.uk