Pentagon says Trump has approved plans to cut troops in Germany
President Donald Trump on Monday approved plans to significantly reduce the number of US troops in Germany after being briefed by top Pentagon officials on the move, which was directed by Trump and has drawn bipartisan criticism that it would weaken the US military's ability to deter Russia.
"The Secretary of Defense and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff briefed the President yesterday on plans to redeploy 9,500 troops from Germany," Chief Pentagon Spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement Tuesday, adding that Trump approved the plan.
Hoffman claimed that "the proposal that was approved not only meets the President's directive, it will also enhance Russian deterrence, strengthen NATO, reassure Allies, improve US strategic flexibility and U.S. European Command's operational flexibility, and take care of our service members and their families."
However the plan to cut US forces from Germany, where there are currently some 34,500 personnel, has drawn opposition from both Republican and Democratic lawmakers as well as America's allies in Europe.
Dozens of Republican members of Congress have written to Trump in an effort to get him to reverse his decision to reduce US troops from Germany and Republican Sen. Mitt Romney, of Utah, recently introduced legislation that would limit the use of funds implement the decision. During a meeting with Trump last week, Polish President Andrzej Duda said that any withdrawal of US troops from Europe would be detrimental to security. Hoffman said that "Pentagon leaders look forward to briefing this plan to the ...
More on: www.cnn.com