Paris: Students remember beheaded teacher who feared for his safety - Business Insider
• The French teacher who was beheaded by an 18-year-old man on Friday after teaching his pupils about freedom of speech has been identified as Samuel Paty.
• Paty had shown his pupils a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad while discussing the Charlie Hebdo case in a lesson that was part of an obligatory "moral and civil education" course.
• Tributes have been pouring in for Paty, who has been described by his students as someone who "loved his job."
• The incident, which occurred in the northwestern Parisian suburb of Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, has shocked the country and prompted the hashtag #JeSuisSamuel to go viral on social media.
• The lesson prompted several Muslim parents to issue complaints to the school and Paty to receive a number of unspecified threats had him "concerned for his safety."
Tributes have been pouring in for the French teacher who was beheaded on Friday afternoon after teaching his pupils about freedom of speech and showing them controversial cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.
Samuel Paty, a 47-year-old history teacher at College du Bois d'Aulne, was attacked in the northwestern Parisian suburb of Conflans-Sainte-Honorine on Friday afternoon by an 18-year-old man who was later shot dead by police.
The brutal attack has shocked the country as the hashtag #JeSuisSamuel (I am Samuel) began trending on social media, similar to the #JeSuisCharlie movement that went viral after the 2015 attack on the offices of satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo.
Earlier this month, Paty had shown his pupils a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad while discussing the Hebdo case ...
More on: www.businessinsider.com