Louisville council members move to limit no-knock warrants after Breonna Taylor shooting

Louisville council members move to limit no-knock warrants after Breonna Taylor shooting

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Two members of Louisville Metro Council have filed legislation that would restrict and monitor the circumstances in which police can use controversial no-knock search warrants. The legislation, filed by Jessica Green and Barbara Sexton Smith, calls for banning no-knocks completely if drug possession is the only suspected criminal activity. Both Green and Sexton Smith had expressed interest in restricting or banning the warrants earlier this week at a public safety committee meeting. Louisville Metro Police's use of no-knock search warrants have come under scrutiny in the wake of the March 13 shooting death of 26-year-old Breonna Taylor. Records show that police obtained a no-knock search warrant for Taylor's home, though police said they knocked and announced their presence. Kenneth Walker, Taylor's boyfriend, said he did not know it was police entering the apartment, and fired one shot, hitting an officer in the leg. More: Prosecutor to dismiss charges against Breonna Taylor's boyfriend, wants more investigation Read this: The Louisville police union wants an apology from a council member. She's not backing down The proposed ordinance would require LMPD to create a "warrant application form" that must be completed, signed and dated by the officer seeking a no-knock warrant. The officer must justify why "less invasive means or methods" would not work, what investigative activities support the warrant and if it can be effectively executed during daylight hours. The application would then be reviewed by the chief of police and SWAT commanding officer. Earlier this week, Mayor Greg Fischer ...
More on: www.courier-journal.com