‘Long road to recovery’: Both deputies released from hospital after being shot in Compton ambush
Both Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies wounded in an ambush shooting in Compton have been discharged from the hospital and have a “long road to recovery” ahead, officials said Monday.
The two deputies were in a marked patrol vehicle on the evening of Sept. 12, stopped across the street from the Blue Line Metro station at 275 N. Willowbrook Ave., when a man approached and fired multiple times into the window, hitting them both.
The brazen attack spurred a manhunt for the gunman, with a reward of at least $300,000 offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction. Hundreds of thousands more are also pledged for the reward from private donors.
The female deputy, a 31-year-old mother, and the 24-year-old male deputy suffered gunshot wounds — one to the face and the other to head — before they got out of the patrol car and hid behind a column, where they helped each other with their injuries, officials said.
“He’s bleeding out profusely from the arm so she actually applies a tourniquet to his arm to stop the bleeding and she tries to call for help on the radio,” L.A. County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said last week. “It’s pretty heart-wrenching and she’s trying to mumble and we finally get her … she says where she is at and the fact that there was a shooting, and that got all the help rolling in her direction.”
Both deputies underwent surgery, and male deputy was released from the hospital four days after the ...
More on: ktla.com