Coronavirus live updates: U.S. deaths near 15,000 as Wuhan lifts lockdown

Coronavirus live updates: U.S. deaths near 15,000 as Wuhan lifts lockdown

Federal stockpile of protective equipment nearly gone, HHS says WASHINGTON — The Strategic National Stockpile is nearly out of the N95 respirators, surgical masks, face, shields, gowns and other medical supplies desperately needed to protect front-line medical workers treating coronavirus patients. The Department of Health and Human Services said Wednesday that the federal stockpile was in the process of deploying all remaining personal protective equipment in its inventory. The HHS statement confirms federal documents released Wednesday by the House Oversight and Reform Committee showing that about 90 percent of the personal protective equipment in the stockpile has been distributed to state and local governments. HHS spokeswoman Katie McKeogh said the remaining 10 percent will be kept in reserve to support federal response efforts. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke with the prime minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, Wednesday by phone about efforts to contain the global coronavirus outbreak, State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said. The two also talked about Iran and "the unwavering U.S. commitment to Israel’s security," she said in a statement. Israel had 9,404 COVID-19 cases and 71 deaths as of Wednesday, according to the World Health Organization. Netanyahu has threatened to deploy roadblocks in ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities reluctant to practice social distancing. On Friday, police surrounded the ultra-Orthodox city of Bnei Brak, which has seen a relatively high rate of spread. WASHINGTON — Vice President Mike Pence says Philadelphia is emerging as a potential hot spot for the coronavirus and urged its residents to heed social distancing guidelines. Pence says he ...
More on: www.nbcnews.com