Britain’s biggest tourism destinations demand Government helps them win back visitors

Britain’s biggest tourism destinations demand Government helps them win back visitors

Bosses at some of Britain’s most famous tourist attractions have called on the Government to back a campaign to convince the public it will be safe to holiday domestically this summer. Tourism chiefs are understood to be very concerned about the wariness of Britons to return to normal when the lockdown is lifted. Patricia Yates, the acting chief executive of Visit Britain told MPs this week that just one in five people plans to holiday in the UK this summer, prompting fears many in the ailing industry could collapse. Bernard Donoghue, chief executive of the Association of Leading Visitor Attractions, said that the future of some of the country’s landmark attractions hang in the balance. On Saturday, those in charge of several high profile visitor attractions, told The Telegraph the Government should fund some form of “back to holidays” campaign to promote responsible tourism as soon as it is safe to do so. The attractions are currently closed but several said there was a case for reopening outdoor parks and gardens as soon as possible. Ministers have previously said people should refrain from booking a summer holiday, but the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has said it will encourage domestic holidays “as soon as it is safe to do so”. The domestic tourism industry is likely to be even more reliant on British visitors this year, given that international visitors could be unwilling or unable to come. Dominic Hare, the chief executive of Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire, said: “I think there ...
More on: www.telegraph.co.uk